SCuAnamPolicar

Cu's Reviews

100% Honest Reviews
Dismantling Evan - Venessa Kimball

***I received this ARC from the Author in exchange for an honest review***

Because this is an Advanced Reader Copy, I cannot speak of any errors I may have or may not have found

At first I wasn't too sure I would like this book. to be honest, I was more than a little anxious about reading it. Venessa had explained to me the run down of the book and asked if I'd like to read it since she knows about my Bipolar II. I naturally said yes. I like Venessa's books, and I knew the story would be a good one. My anxiety came from the subject. Evangeline Phillips is a seventeen year old girl who was just told she has the beginning stages of Bipolar II. I was diagnosed with Bipolar II when I was 6 or 7.. back then it was called Manic Depression; so this subject really struck a sour note with me and it most definitely set my anxiety into overdrive. But still, I HAD to read this book.

I very very quickly related to Evan, for obvious reasons, especially how her parents treated her and defined her not as their child but as her "condition". I think everyone of us that has a label attached to us has been there.. We've also dealt with the want to be invisible, the fear of being judged if gods forbid anyone finds out you're different, the bullying. The bullying is always the worst.

This story doesn't only cover Bipolar II, it covers several different disorders that people have. I really do admire Evan's tribe of friends. Every kid like her and Gavin should have a tribe of people that will do what Brody, Lia, Nikki, and Asher do.

I can't give away my favorite part of the story because it will spoil it for you guys. Just know that Dismantling Evan is a must read... and remember to have some tissues nearby.

I give this book 5 of 5 paws